HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SERVICES
Hazardous building materials include products containing asbestos, PCBs, lead-based paints, etc. These materials were used extensively in Australia throughout most of the 20th Century. Asbestos was seen as the wonder building product of the age. With increasing awareness of hazardous material risk management, and the risks to health and the environment, the use of hazardous building materials declined, and they were eventually prohibited.
However, hazardous building materials remain present in many commercial, industrial & residential properties across Australia and New Zealand. The management of hazardous material and asbestos is now heavily regulated. The WHS legislation in Australia and New Zealand requires health risks to be assessed and controlled, and mandates specific requirements for the management of asbestos, including surveys, risk assessment, preparation of Asbestos Registers, periodical inspections, and asbestos risk management plans.
Hazardous Materials and Asbestos Risk Management
The requirements for the management of hazardous building materials, particularly asbestos containing materials, are complex and vary between the state jurisdictions. Working across Australia, New Zealand and Asia Pacific, Hibbs is conversant with the legislation and can provide the expertise to guide building owners through the requirements for the management and eventual remediation of hazardous building materials.
Our hazardous materials and asbestos management consultants have extensive experience and are internationally recognised leaders in the assessment, management, and remediation of hazardous building materials. When workplace health and safety is a top priority, Hibbs’ specialist consultants will be the trusted advisors, providing the expertise and integrity to assist clients to manage the legislative obligations:
- Asbestos and hazardous building materials surveys and registers
- Asbestos and hazardous materials risk assessments and management plans
- NATA accredited in-house and field laboratory services:
- asbestos fibre air monitoring
- analysis of bulk samples, soils, and ores for asbestos
- Analysis of in-situ coating systems for heavy metals by portable XRF analyser
- Assessment and management of naturally occurring asbestos (NOA) and legacy asbestos contamination in soil
- Preparation of technical specifications and contract documentation
- asbestos removal contractor briefing and selection
- asbestos removal project supervision
- project health and safety plan
- project quality management plan
- inspection and test plans
- asbestos fibre air monitoring
- asbestos clearance inspections
- Licenced asbestos assessors
- Asbestos testing of imported goods
- NATA Endorsed Certificates of Analysis
- assistance with navigating Australian Border Force and the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956.
- Maritime Industry
- preparation of Inventory of Hazardous Materials in accordance with IMO Resolution MEPC.210(63)
- Asbestos surveys of vessels imported into Australia in accordance with AMSA, NOPSEMA, and SOLAS 74, Chapter II-1, Regulation 3-5
- Lloyd’s Register Approved Supplier
- Employee and community hazardous material briefing sessions
- Customised asbestos awareness & management training
- Expert witness services for legal issues
Senior consultants are members of:
- Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists, Inc.
- Faculty of Asbestos Management of Australia & New Zealand
- BOHS Faculty of Asbestos Assessment & Management
GET IN TOUCH
Please leave your details and one of our friendly team will be in touch very soon.